4 months ago
Construction Manager - Birmingham - Duration 6 months - Rate c£420/day umbrella
Key Words / Skills: Construction Manager, Rail, PTS, Network Rail, GRIP
Wilde Recruitment Ltd are working along side Network Rail in order to recruit a Construction Manager to work on a 6 month contract based in Birmingham,
As a Construction Manager your responsibilities and duties will include:
As the Construction Manager, you will undertake the day-to-day construction management of project works in terms of safety, quality, environment, engineering/design compliance, commissioning, functionality and programme. This will be through construction assurance activities on both internal staff and Contractors, such as site visits and Interdisciplinary Design Reviews.
Could you act as our day-to-day site representative to ensure work is of a high standard and adheres to the relevant specifications and the latest practices?
1. Ensure site activities align with the Guide to Railway Investment Projects (GRIP), relevant rules, regulations, Railway Group and Network Rail’s company standards and all applicable procedures and legislation.
2. Review in conjunction with the Project Manager, the Construction Phase Plans, Work Package Plans and site-specific risk assessments.
3. Monitor by liaison with appropriate Network Rail personnel whether arrangements for access, possession, storage, worksites etc. have been made to facilitate the efficient completion of work.
4. Monitor by a programme of regular pre-arranged inspections the quality of the contractor’s work. Where remedial actions are required monitor so that non-conformance reports raised are closed out in an auditable manner. Direct changes as appropriate.
5. Inspect completed works and survey for the readiness of portions of the work for inspection and for the recording of the outcome and the control of any remedial works required.
6. Monitor, by close liaison with the contractor, whether “first off” examples of elements projects are jointly inspected at an early opportunity. Agree the detailed workmanship standards for consistent application to the whole works.
7. Monitor the management of site works by regular site meetings at which details of the locations of, nature of, and number of staff to be employed upon each element of the project shall be established.
8. Make regular visits and inspections to site to monitor progress, comparing work in progress with contract documentation, and information given at site meetings and with the overall contract programme.
9. Maintain a regular and frequent site presence at all worksites and to continually monitor, and correct where necessary, the standard and methods of work, being always vigilant for inadequacies.
10. Encourage an awareness of the importance of HSQE and good workmanship by regular communication with all contractors’ site staff
11. Monitor and assess the competence of staff prior to and during all phases of work.
12. Check whether the contractor follows Network Rail policy in accident/incident reporting and investigation, and assist with conducting investigations.
13. Provides functional support to Project Managers as directed.
Job Skills, Experience and Qualifications
• Relevant successful construction experience in railway industry.
• Environmental awareness.
• Driver for behavioural change.
• Good communication skills.
• Commercial awareness.
• Ability to manage a principal contractor and their subcontractors.
• CSCS/CITB scheme/Nebosh certificate.