- Job type
- Job ref
- JO10650 - JW.MK
Senior Mechanical Designer; 12mth + contract to £34.0/hour (umbrella) – Warrington
Key Skills: Mechanical Designer, Nuclear, Inventor 3D, AutoCAD
Senior Mechanical Designer required to join a Plant Design team to provide a design services projects within Remediation and Waste Management (R&WM) directorate.
You will be responsible for developing mechanical / piping design solutions in response to problem definitions for plant and equipment on several Sellafield plants dealing with High Active, Medium Active and Low Active waste streams that process, compact, encapsulate, vitrify or package waste.
The role involves undertaking design work, developing Inventor 3D Models for concepts and detail design, as well as assisting in the preparation of Design Substantiation for designs and to support Safety Cases.
Other tasks carried out by the team include the replacement or redesigning of piping systems, and a level of understanding of Sellafield Piping specifications, piping isometrics and general piping systems as installed on the Sellafield site is preferred, though this is secondary to the more general mechanical design skills required.
Successful candidate will also have the skills and knowledge to be able to lead other junior designers and be able to check their work.
Subject to COVID-19 restrictions: some travel to the Sellafield site, Cumbria will be required in order to undertake plant meetings / visits / walk downs.
You will be an experienced Mechanical Designer with previous Nuclear Sector experience ideally in Nuclear waste or Nuclear Decommissioning sectors and be qualified to BTEC, HNC, HND, with 5-8 years design delivery experience.
In addition, you will have:
- A sound engineering background with knowledge of general mechanical design aspects and principals such as BS8888, material selection, tolerancing, geometric tolerancing, surface finishes, and welding.
- Familiarity and experience designing equipment for in cell applications involving remote maintenance and operation.
- Familiarity with crane and lifting equipment design, as such knowledge and experience using crane and other design specifications and guides e.g.BS2573, The Machinery Directive, LOLER, and PUWER.
- Previous experience involving the design of mechanical / electrical machinery.
- Competent and proven design engineer, capable of producing designs, schemes, drawings, and supporting calculations who is familiar with the roles and application of the CDM regulations 2015.
- Previous experience producing design packages, suitable for manufacture and installation, containing drawings, method statements, risk assessments etc.
- Previous experience producing designs for general fabrications.
- Familiarity and experience using AutoCAD, Inventor, (or other 3D Packages) and DM Desktop.
- Some level of piping design experience on legacy, new and operational process plant installations.
NB. Current SC (Security Clearance) Level or ability to obtain BPSS (Baseline Security) is required for this role.
To discuss this vacancy please contact: James Walker or Mike Kelly
Wilde Recruitment Ltd - Engineering Recruitment
We are an Equal Opportunities Employer and we positively welcome applications from all candidates regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation.
Wilde Recruitment Ltd operates as both an employment business and agency. If your application is for a position based in the UK or EU, under European Employment Law you MUST be eligible to live and work there.